Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cutest Wedding Readings Ever: Kids Books

Let's get real for a second. What is your favorite book? What book do you love more than any book in the world, and makes you smile when you think of it, and makes you want to make sure that every person in the world reads it at least once so they know how great it is? For some of you smarties, that book is going to be something like One Hundred Years of Solitude or The Sound and the Fury or Gone With the Wind. English majors, theater people, and liars will say that it's something by Shakespeare. Every teenage girl will say it's one of the Twilight books, and 37% of the world will say Harry Potter. And all the people that are left will be honest, and say it's a kids picture book. Because kid's books are frickin' fantastic.

These kids know what's up.  Image borrowed from here.
So, if you know how awesome kids books are, and you're having a slightly nontraditional ceremony, why not consider a reading from an amazing book that meant a lot to you in your formative years? Before you get all "What? That's crazy!" consider these things:

1. Odds are, a kids book has a more prominent place in your heart and your memory than some random poem on a wedding reading website, even if that poem is very pretty and romantic.

2. Can you imagine how crazy and wonderful it would be to read your children and grandchildren the same book that was read at your wedding?  I mean- OMG.  SWEETEST. THING. EVER.

3. I really like this idea, so just consider it, okay?

And if those arguments weren't convincing enough, please consider the following books, and then tell me you don't want a picture book read at your wedding.

1. Your Personal Penguin by Sandra Boyton


Are you a cool, fun couple who doesn't take themselves too seriously?  Then this adorable book might make the perfect wedding reading for you.  The text of this book was also recorded as a song by Davy Jones, which is pretty darn cute, and could very easily make a sweet encore appearance at you reception. Here's an excerpt: 

I like you a lot. 
You're funny and kind. 
So let me explain 
What I have in mind. 
I want to be your personal penguin.
 I want to walk right by your side. 
I want to be your personal penguin.
 I want to travel with you far and wide.


2. I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg


I am not convinced that this book wasn't written for the sole purpose of being read at wedding ceremonies, while everyone smiles with happy tears in their eyes.  It is a perfectly perfect expression of love, friendship, and companionship. The entire book is wonderful- so much so that it would be really difficult to pick a single passage for a reading.  Go ahead and read the whole darn thing! Here are some of the many amazing moments:



I like you because

I don’t know why, but

Everything that happens

Is nicer with you.



I can’t remember when I didn’t like you.


It must have been lonesome then.


I would go on choosing you,

And you would go on choosing me,

Over and over again.



That’s how it would happen every time.

I don’t know why


3. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams


This book is definitely a children's classic, and most people read or owned a copy at some point in their childhood. And while you probably remember bits and pieces, I bet you don't remember how incredibly sweet, wise, and quite frankly, profound, the Skin Horse was. That old horse had a lot of valuable advice that is equally applicable to the lives of toy rabbits and newlywed humans.  Here's what I'm talking about:

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

So there you have it. And believe it or not, these are just a few of the many MANY kid's picture books that would make amazing wedding readings.  Some other great options include Guess How Much I Love You? by Sam McBratney, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery, and The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton. And I bet if you raid your childhood bookshelf, you'll find a lot more.  So do it! And then tell me about all of the other incredible, touching wedding readings disguised as children's picture books. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin