Thursday, November 21, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Jeff and Caroline Berman

Today's Throwback Thursday is the romantic true story of a couple married over 18 years ago, and still as happy today as they were on their wedding day. Get ready to reminisce with this wonderful couple!

Couple's Name:  Jeff and Caroline Berman



Wedding Snapshot

Wedding Date: May 13th, 1995
Ceremony Location: St. Lambert's Catholic Church, Skokie, IL
Reception Location: Bristol Court Banquets, Mount Prospect, IL
Number of Guests: 210
First Dance Song: "I'll Always Love You" by Taylor Dane (Note: Jeff didn't love the song, but they both loved the lyrics.)  
Bridesmaid Dress Color: Burgundy

How did you meet?

We met on July 24th 1992, at Old St Pat's Block Party in Chicago, in the beer line!


When and how were you engaged?

We got engaged 1/29/1994.  Jeff took me to dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants: Lindo Mexico. Right before the check arrived, Jeff said he forgot his wallet in the car and would be right back. While I sat there waiting, Jeff went back to my apartment around the corner and changed into a suit and tie from jeans. The waiter kept walking by smiling, and about 10 minutes later came by with a note in an envelope. It said "The bill is paid, here is $20 for cab fare. Take a cab to 2639 Sheffield and tell them your name."

I walked outside to beautiful fluffy snow falling and took a cab to the address. It turned out to be my favorite romantic bar-- Pops for Champagne.  I went to the door and told them my name. They brought me to a small table and soon brought a beautiful red rose and champagne. I said "I didn't order this," and they just smiled at me.  A couple of minutes later, the waiter brought me a card with the sweetest words I ever heard: Jeff telling me how much I meant to him and how much he loved me! I started crying and when I looked up, Jeff was down on one knee, in his suit and tie and asked me to be his wife!

Of course I said YES!! And everyone around us started clapping!

That was almost 20 years ago and he still gives me butterflies and continues to surprise me! I made the best decision of my life that night, and four kids and 20 years later, I feel like I love him even more!!!

This adorable note was a key part in Caroline & Jeff's proposal story.  Caroline saved it- how sweet!

What was your most memorable wedding day moment?

Two things were soo memorable-- RAIN and nerves.

I got married in May and I thought I would have a beautiful Spring wedding! HAAAA! Nature had other plans for us, like 45-50 degree weather, gusting winds, and RAIN!! They said it was good luck to have rain on your wedding day, but I thought they were just saying that so brides didn't have a nervous breakdown.

Turns out it was true- I got so lucky when I married Jeff!

My other most memorable moment was really how incredibly nervous I was. I was shaking on the way down the isle, but once we said our vows, I relaxed so much, finally smiled, and enjoyed the day even though it it was pouring outside!

If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

My wedding was beautiful and the only thing I would change (besides the weather, which none of us have control over!) would be to not worry about all of the small details, which don't seem so small at the time. Just enjoy the day and try to remember as much as you can because it goes by soooo fast!



What is one piece of advice you can give to our Brides and Grooms?

GO ON A HONEYMOON!!!!  I don't care if it is an hour away or the most exotic trip! Get away afterwards to celebrate your day, spend time together, relax, and begin the next chapter in your lives. Besides, after all of the months and possibly years of planning a wedding, truthfully, you feel a little sad when it is all over. The honeymoon gives you something to look forward to and enjoy, just the two of you!


If you are interested or would like to submit a family member or friend to be featured in an upcoming Throwback Thursday feature please contact amanda@ladievents.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin